Welcome from the Head of School
Welcome to our school! On behalf of the Woodlawn School family, thank you for your interest in our school.
From Day One, seventeen years ago, we were designed to be different. Designed to nurture and grow the lifelong joy of learning inherent in all. Designed to foster generations who will always be Happy Adapters - people who have the “learn how to learn” skills and the entrepreneurial spirit it takes to thrive in a dynamic, ever-changing world. People who live and work in ways that bring out the best in all. That’s the Woodlawn Way!
We are a school family united around a set of core values and beliefs:
- Hands-on, Project-Based, Experiential Learning is essential! It is the natural way - the joyous way! - we are designed to learn. It is how the real work of the 21st century takes place.
- Children learn best when parents, grandparents, teachers and coaches - all members of the school family! - are partners, modeling lifelong values of mutual trust and respect.
- The best lessons are often caught, not taught, and children need to be immersed in healthy cultures guided by skilled, compassionate mentors who educate and nurture the whole child.
- Peer relationships matter, and children thrive when they are surrounded by peers who are worthy of admiration. That is the magic of a Kindergarten through 12th grade school!
- Children learn to become good people when their community shares a passionate belief in moral excellence. When compassion for others, empathy, and respect for the inherent dignity, worth and equality of all people are the foundation of all we do.
Most of all, we share a bright, optimistic vision of what children become!
As you tour our website, you will enjoy amazing alumni success stories, you will see, hear and feel the passion of our students and teachers, you will see the power and promise of school the way it is supposed to be, and you will understand why other schools are trying to tear down walls that Woodlawn never built. You will see that we truly are different by design.
I hope you will come visit our campus and that you will find us to be your best partner in the vital work of raising children who will forever be lifelong learners!
Paul Zanowski, Head of School
Our Mission: To produce independent, lifelong learners who are responsible, contributing members of a diverse global society.